Last year, following the cancellation of the 2020 NCAA Basketball tournament, the team started our own version: MULCH MADNESS. We’re excited to announce the return of the tournament this year! This competition involves 28 flowering native plants found in the Red Oak Rain Garden battling it out to find out who will make it to the Final Forb. (Yes, that’s a gardening joke! 🌸) Which plant species will be the champion? Your votes will decide.
UPDATE (4/03/2021): FINAL RESULTS
UPDATE (4/02/2021): ROUND 4 RESULTS
UPDATE (4/01/2021): ROUND 3 RESULTS
UPDATE (3/30/2021): ROUND 2 RESULTS
UPDATE (3/25/2021): ROUND 1 RESULTS
The creator of the winning bracket will receive a $20 gift certificate to the local business of their choice.
HOW TO ENTER:
- Click on the bracket below.
- In the tab that pops up, click the “download” icon
- Fill it out with your picks and save the document. Please include your name! Note that you can learn more about the plants by clicking their names in the bracket.
- Submit it to email@example.com by Tuesday, March 16th at 11:00 am.
HOW IT WORKS:
Beginning Tuesday, March 16th and continuing each workday through April 1st, games will take place at 12:00 pm and 5:00 pm CST. The final matchup will begin at 12:00 pm on Friday, April 2nd. All “games” will take the form of polls and will be held on RORG’s Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter platforms. Follow us @RainGardenUIUC to play along! You do not have to submit a bracket to participate in the games.
- One bracket entry per person
- Brackets must be submitted by Tuesday, March 16th at 11:00am. Games start at 12:00 pm the same day.
- The winning bracket is chosen based on the ESPN Fantasy scoring system.
A correct pick in each round is shown below:
- Round 1: 10 points per pick
- Round 2: 20 points per pick
- Round 3: 40 points per pick
- Round 4: 80 points per pick
- Championship: 160 points per pick
Reportedly, in the history of the (real) NCAA tournament, no one has ever filled out a perfect bracket. Will YOU be the first with a perfect bracket in MULCH MADNESS?
4 thoughts on “MULCH MADNESS 2021: Hold onto your gardening hats, sports fans!”
Comments are closed.